Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Peer pressure's a Bia

On Saturday, a group of us went up to Maine to cheer on two of our best gals that were competing in an Olympic distance triathlon.  They did awesome! Our cheer section was a hit - we gave many sweaty passersby something to smile about on their journey over Maine highways.

Anyway, this kinda got me thinking that I need to do something this Fall to kind of kick-start my fitness habits again. On the ride back to Cambridge we were talking about races coming up: Jingle Bell Run, Yulefest.... Tufts 10k.  I've cheered on many in this annual infamous women's-only 6.2 mile race through Boston and Cambridge, but I have never, not even once, considered this distance... Hell no.  I'm a slow, 35 minute, 5K fun-runner, usually in costume. But we kept talking about it and the peer pressure set in.

Sunday morning I counted the days to the Tufts 10K.  Three weeks from tomorrow - it is absurd for me to train for this in 3 weeks.  I Googled and Googled some more for 3-4 week 10K training plans.  There are none.  Most were 5 and 6 weeks.  You know, a sensible amount of time.   So, I took a couple plans and meshed them into something I think I can tackle.  It goes like this: Monday, long run - Tuesday, easy timed run - Wednesday, swim - Thursday, run - Friday, yoga (gonna need this) - Saturday, shorter faster run - Sunday, rest (football day)... and repeat.  My finger slipped and hit the "Register" button.  No turning back now.

And here comes the freak-out.  It's Sunday, technically my rest day.  I can't start my training with a rest day!  Go run now.  Forget that your running shoes are at the gym.  Put on those other athletic shoes and go for a short one.

I hadn't ran in a while, so I decided that I'd try and do a fast-ish 2 miles just to see where I was at.  I pulled the door shut and realized I forgot my watch and had no idea what time it was.  F*** it, I'm outside now. Stomp the pavement.

First 2 miles of training, not bad.  Blister on my foot from those "other" shoes, eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment